Conference on Inter-Asian Connections II:
- Singapore December 8-10, 2010
Co-organized and co-sponsored by The Hong Kong Institute for Humanities and the Social Sciences (HKIHSS) at the University of Hong Kong, the National University of Singapore (NUS), and the Social Science Research Council (SSRC).
CALL FOR WORKSHOP PAPERS - DEADLINE: Monday, May 31, 2010
The Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (HKIHSS) at the University of Hong Kong, the National University of Singapore (NUS), and the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) (the Organizers) are pleased to announce an open call for individual research paper submissions from researchers in any world region, to participate in a 3-day thematic workshop at an international conference, “Inter-Asian Connections II: Singapore.”
To be held in
, Singapore December 8-10, 2010, the conference will host concurrent workshops, coordinated by individual directors and showcasing innovative research from across the social sciences and related disciplines. Workshops will focus on themes of particular relevance to Asia, reconceptualized as a dynamic and interconnected historical, geographical, and cultural formation stretching from the Middle East through Eurasia and South Asia, to East Asia.
The conference structure and schedule have been designed to enable intensive ‘working group’ interactions on a specific research theme, as well as broader interactions on topics of mutual interest and concern. Accordingly, there will be a public keynote delivered by Dr. Ackbar Abbas (Professor of Comparative Literature,
- University of California ) and a number of plenary sessions in addition to closed workshop sessions. The concluding day of the conference will bring all the conference participants together for a public presentation and exchange of research agendas that have emerged over the course of the conference deliberations. Irvine
Individual paper submissions are invited from junior and senior scholars, whether graduate students or faculty, or researchers in NGOs or other research organizations, for the following five workshops. For the full Calls for Papers and detailed descriptions of the individual workshops, click below.
- Regional Knowledge Hubs in Asia: the Social Sciences and Humanities in Science and Technology Human Capital (STHC) Workshop Directors - V.V. Krishna (
of National University ) and Tim Turpin ( Singapore ) Universityof Western Sydney
- Inter-Asian temple and trust networks within and out of Southeast Asia Workshop Director - Kenneth Dean (
) McGill University
- How Asia Became Territorial Workshop Directors - Itty Abraham (
at Universityof Texas ) and See Seng Tan (S. Rajaratnam Austin Studies, Nanyang Technological University) Schoolof International
- Reproduction Migration in Asia Workshop Directors - Biao Xiang (
) and Mika Toyota ( Universityof Oxford of National University ) Singapore
- Old Histories, New Geographies: Contrapuntal Mobilities of Trade and State across Asia Workshop Directors - Engseng Ho (
) and Lakshmi Subramanian (Jamia Millia Islamia) Duke University